Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Early Birthday Loot

Yesterday was an early birthday celebration at quilting (QB's). Due to schedules, we had a joint birthday celebration and Janis and I ended up with some good birthday loot -- fat quarters and good food! We always have a potluck lunch and the birthday girls get to decide what they are collecting in the way of fq's. This year I chose jewel tones, purples, blues and greens. Here's what I ended up with: They are really much richer and warmer than they appear to be in the picture. My plan is to use them in the Nearly Insane quilt. My goal is to try to do at least one block a week. At that rate it should take me 2 years. Yikes! Well, I suppose since I have several UFO's older than that, 2 years would actually be a realatively short amount of time.

I have managed to get a start on the Nearly Insane quilt. And now I know why it was named. It certainly will be a challenge. Here's Block #1. It took two tries to get the center measurement correct. This block measures 6.5" unfinished. I learned just how important that scant 1/4" really is when piecing things on such a small scale. I had this pieced out to the rectangles surrounding the center square in a square before I realized it was too big. Being off by just 1/8" or less adds up quickly when you're working in a small scale. I think this project will be a good learning experience. If nothing else, it will help hone my precision piecing skills.



Meanwhile, the pink heart log cabins are taking a well deserved rest while I work on the High School Senior quilt top and some test ideas for the QB Christmas Challenge which I cannot show here -- at least not until December. But I can spend the year teasing you.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those colors!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

*karendianne. said...

Woah, great block. Yummy!!!!!