After staring and staring and analyzing the quilt I decided to take a different approach than Cathi did. I decided there were three distinct diamond blocks. I decided it was based on larger diamonds which were made up of a 9 patch of diamonds. One had dark points on both ends, a second had light points on both ends and the third block had both a dark and a light point.
Here you can see the three different blocks. I raided my stash of 2" strips for pinks and purples and chose three constant fabrics for the points and center block along with a white for the background. This is where having an extensive stash really helps.
I briefly toyed with strip piecing the sections for each block but, since I was working with some small leftover bits and pieces of strips I chose, instead, to use Darlene Zimmerman's 60o Diamond Ruler. I started playing with these after lunch and had these blocks done by dinner time.
Yes, there are eight blocks there and I know the one on the bottom right is not placed correctly. I really, really miss my design wall! It is now midnight and I have a total of 12 blocks completed with bits and pieces for a few more. I think this will be a baby quilt. Meanwhile, I'm also thinking it would be fun to make a QOV (Quilt of Valor) with slightly larger diamonds all in red, white and blue.
Sigh, so many quilts and not nealy enough time in this lifetime to make them all. And there will be no quilting for the next several days.......