Thursday, June 16, 2005

UFO's, WIP's and the Ugly Truth...

I seem to be remiss in updating my blog on a regular basis. What can I say, it pretty much seems to be the "story of my life". Which brings me to today's subject. A couple weeks ago the QB's (Quilting Broads) were discussing the number of UnFinished Objects. I came up with about 12 that day but for the next week I kept remembering more and more projects that have been started, but never finished. Yesterday, with pen and paper in hand, I walked around my sewing room, poking into bags and drawers that haven't seen the light of day for quite some time. The list is not pretty and I can't even be sure that I have everything on it. But, here it is, in all it's glory.....

Works In some form of Progress
(not necessarily listed in order of age)
1. Monochromatic sampler quilt (this is definitely the oldest in the list
as it dates back to my NY days.)
2. Mariner's Compass
3. Mystery quilt -- Debbie Mumm dog print
4. Jackson Family Photo Memory Quilt
5. R&W Starkle, Starkle (Bob Coon class)
6. Kaleidoscope - royal blue
7. Batik scrap Hunter's Star
8. Stack n' Whack dogs
9. RW&B star log cabin
10. Airplane quilt
11. Airplane wallhanging - foundation pieced
12. Yellow & Blue Grandmother's Flower Garden
13. Bear's Paw in a Bear's Paw wallhanging - Bob Coon class
14. Red, black, & White pieced duvet cover
15. Ditto applique wallhanging (C.Warr Anderson "Applique for Realism")
16. BOM dog applique
17. Hudson River lighthouses
18. Storm at Sea
19. Nickel Quilt (not sure I should count this one yet since I'm still
collecting 5" squares and haven't completed one full block yet...)
20. Signature Quilt for T.L.
21. Dog themed Baby quilt for CM -- completed 8/20/05
22. Black pansy challenge wallhanging
23. QB Christmas challenge
24. Applique lighthouses (Piecemaker's BOM)
25. Beige Behemoth
26. 2003 Shop Hop Blocks

To be Quilted or In-Process
1. QB Signature friendship quilt -- completed 6/27/05
2. Giant Dahlia
3. Hawaiian Applique
4. Jessie's Cross Stitch
5. Ballerina's

Kits
1. Trip to Trinidad
2. Christmas Stained Glass
3. Rose for Princess Diana
4. Dog Pincushion

Of course this list doesn't include all the sewing projects in various stages of completion.......insulated curtains for the bus, duffle/tote bag for agility class, clear vinyl for screen room portion of tent and a whole myriad of others that I don't even want to think about right now.

One thing is abundantly clear to me, I have a definite problem with finishing. But I relate that to something I read on a quilting list once upon a time. The discussion had come up on this subject and somebody stated that part of the creative process in our minds sees the project as completed once we've done a portion of it. We can see whether or not it's turning out as we had envisioned it and in our minds, we see it completed and move on to the next idea rolling around, screaming to come out. Hey, it works for me. :)

But, truth be told, I am a bit embarrassed by the number of projects listed. There's something a bit humbling about actually seeing it in black and white instead of on that mental whiteboard, (I think I keep erasing it in my mind.) So, now the question is, what am I going to do about all these projects? I think I need to mull this over for a while and try to come up with a plan of action.

No comments: