Friday, November 28, 2008

Holiday Wrap Up

One holiday down, one more to go. I'm not a big fan of holidays. I admit it, I'm a grinch. I hate the crowds, I hate the hustle and bustle. I hate the fact that Christmas stuff is displayed in the stores in October! What happened to the times when you'd not see Christmas decorations until Thanksgiving? Ok, I'll stop grosing now.



Meanwhile, we had the requisite turkey and all the trimmings. My lovely 16 year old niece did most of the meal herself with a little help from Uncle David, mom & yours truly. She's quite a cook. Here's her turkey. She brined it so it came out nice and moist.





Here's Grandpa trying to get every last piece off that carcass. Arlo really, really wanted to help but for some reason nobody would let him. Poor guy. That's ok, when he wasn't busy begging food, he was on window duty. Somebody had to guard us from all those strangers walking around the lake!


This morning, before the rain became seriious, The Bearded one and David decided they should help Dad put up the Christmas lights. This involves tramping around on the roof installing angle iron stands to hold the lighted wreath over the carport and a star at the end of the house. For some reason Dad still thinks that climbing around on ladders and roofs is ok for an almost 79 year old man. I really wish he wouldn't.



Once we came home this afternoon, I went downstairs to finish quilting that last bottom border on the Disappearing 9-Patch and the inner black borders. That done, binding sewn on, I came upstairs to make dinner. Silly me, I put the quilt down on the couch and my Official Quilt Tester promptly settled in to test it out. The Bearded One then covered the rest of him with yet another quilt since this is the dog that must be covered by a quilt. The floral under Arlo's chin is the D9P. Once I get the binding sewn down, I'll get some pictures of the actual quilt. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.


I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend making pillowcases for Alycia's QOV project. I'm hoping that lots of other quilters take up the challenge. For more information, see Heartstrings Pillowcase Party.

No comments: